Are these the correct instructions for your module?
These instructions are intended for students on modules using Blackboard Ultra, shown above. If yours doesn’t look like this, you need to follow these instructions instead.
Before you begin
Do not use the Blackboard app
If using a mobile device, you must use the device’s web browser. Uploading a video is not possible via the Blackboard App
Switch off your Ad Blocking
If you are running an ad blocking extension, or your browser has the functionality to block advertising built in, switch it off!
It may prevent you from either uploading your video into Panopto or adding the uploaded video into your Blackboard assignment.
Check your broadband speed
To give you an idea of how long your upload will take, you can use fast.com to test your upload speed. When you first visit the site, it will show your download speed. Click on More Info to see your upload speed.
As a guide, at a top upload speed of 1.5 Mbps a 30-minute 1080p video could take three hours to upload.
Tips to improve your upload speeds
You may find upload speeds are faster in the evening when broadband is being used less elsewhere.
If you can, use a wired network connection.
If you are using Wi-Fi, being in the same room as your router will ensure you’re getting the fastest speeds between your computer and the router.
Ask others in the house to avoid using the Wi-Fi whilst you upload your video.
Reduce your file size
If you think your video is too big to upload on the connection you are using, you can reduce the size.
- If you used an application to create the video, follow the steps in the app to reduce the quality.
- If you didn’t use an app (e.g. recorded from a camera) or the app you are using doesn’t let you change the output quality, you can use a third-party tool such as Handbrake to reduce the file size.
- Log into Blackboard and go to the course where you need to submit your work
- Locate the assignment, this should be contained within the content area called Assignment Submission, then click the assignment’s title.
- A peek panel will appear on the right-hand side with information. Click the View assessment button at the bottom.
- Click in the You can add text, images, and files field (there may be other questions you need to fill in, which will be located above this field – fill those in first)
- Click the insert content button on the toolbar
- Click Content Market
- Click Aston Replay (Student Submission Tool)
- Click Upload
- Follow the prompts – you can either
- Click within the dotted lines to open up a window to locate your file on your device
- If you are on a computer, you can drag and drop a video file from the Windows Explorer / macOS finder onto the area shown on screen
- When you’ve selected a file, it will begin uploading. Wait for it to complete
- When the upload is complete, click Insert to add the video to your submission attempt
- Click Insert
- You will return to the submission in Blackboard Learn. If you need to add any files to this attempt, you can do so by clicking the paperclip icon in the editor (if you don’t see the toolbar, click within the editor box)
- When you have attached any extra files, and are happy with how your attempt looks, click Submit
- Confirm that you want to submit, by clicking Submit again
- Blackboard will email you these details, but we also recommend you make a note of the confirmation number by Downloading the receipt.
- When you’re done, click Close.