Follow these steps to upload a video into Panopto/Aston Replay and attach it to a Blackboard assignment.
Video assignments use the normal Blackboard assignment tool, however, don’t attach or the video file in the same way as you would a Word Document or PDF. You must follow these instructions carefully.
Before you begin
Use an appropriate machine
You must upload on a laptop or a desktop computer. You cannot upload using a mobile phone or a tablet.
If you are using a laptop, make sure you’ve got it plugged in and are running on mains power.
Switch off your Ad Blocking
If you are running an ad blocking extension, or your browser has the functionality to block advertising built in, switch it off!
It may prevent you from either uploading your video into Panopto or adding the uploaded video into your Blackboard assignment.
Check your broadband speed
To give you an idea of how long your upload will take, you can use fast.com to test your upload speed. When you first visit the site, it will show your download speed. Click on More Info to see your upload speed.
As a guide, at a top upload speed of 1.5 Mbps a 30-minute 1080p video could take three hours to upload.
Tips to improve your upload speeds
- You may find upload speeds are faster in the evening when broadband is being used less elsewhere.
- If you can, use a wired network connection.
- If you are using Wi-Fi, being in the same room as your router will ensure you’re getting the fastest speeds between your computer and the router.
- Ask others in the house to avoid using the Wi-Fi whilst you upload your video.
Reduce your file size to shorten your upload time
If you think your video is too big to upload on the connection you are using, you can reduce the size.
- If you used an application to create the video, follow the steps in the app to reduce the quality.
- If you didn’t use an app (e.g. recorded from a camera) or the app you are using doesn’t let you change the output quality, you can use a third-party tool such as Handbrake to reduce the file size.
You can record your video Panopto Capture. This enables you to easily record audio, video, and screens and applications directly within your browser rather than downloading the Panopto desktop application. Your video will be saved directly into your Panopto My Folder.
1. Upload your video into your Panopto My Folder
- Log into Aston Replay/Panopto directly at astonreplay.cloud.panopto.eu.
- Click on My Folder in the left-hand menu.
- Click Create at the top on the left.
- From the menu select Upload Media and follow the on-screen prompts .
- Your video will begin to upload, and you will see the green bar progress across the window.
Important Do not close this page until Panopto prompts you to do so.
- When the upload is completed Panopto will begin processing your video. At this point you can close the window.
2. Now begin your video submission
Go to Blackboard and navigate to your module. Locate your submission link and click on it to open the submission page.
Do not upload your video via the attach file option
- Click Create Submission – do not click Upload Files.
- You will now see the content editor. To see all toolbar buttons, click the … ellipsis icon. Do not select Upload video.
- Click the Add Content icon – the plus in a circle which will be the last icon listed.
- Listed underneath Additional Tools, click Panopto Student Video Submission – you may have to scroll down the list.
You must not click on Panopto Video – your submission will fail.
3. Select your video
Next, you need to select the video that you previously uploaded to your Panopto folder.
- In your Panopto folder you will see all the videos that you have previously uploaded or recorded.
- Tick the circle next to the video you are submitting and then click Submit.
- The pop up will close and you return to the content editor of your submission, Panopto has added a link to your video.
You have not finished the submission process yet!
Read on to see the final steps
4. Add any additional documents to your submission
For example, if the video is a presentation, you may have to include additional documents such as a personal reflection or your PowerPoint slides.
- Click on Upload Files which appears underneath the content editor.
- Choose the location of your document:
Browse Local files – upload a file saved on your computer
Content Collection – do not select this option
Browse Cloud Service – upload a file saved on One Drive, Google Docs, Dropbox or Box.
5. Complete your submission to Blackboard
When you are ready to submit your work, click the Submit button.You will then see the purple banner confirming your successful submission.
6. Finally, check your submission
- Click the video link to play the video to check it is the working and that you have submitted the correct one. If you see this message, then your video is still being processed by Panopto and it is not yet ready to be played. The longer your video, the bigger the file and the longer Panopto will take to process it. Ensure you return to your submitted link to check your video will play once the processing has completed.
- Click on the title of your supporting documents to check they open and that you have submitted the correct one.
- If required, click on Start New to redo your submission.
7. Check your submission receipt
Always make sure you have a copy of your submission receipt
It is your proof of your submission if things go wrong.
We strongly recommend that you download and save a copy of your submission receipt at the time of submission.
You will also receive an emailed copy to your student email address.
If you need assistance in uploading your video your College Office as soon as you identify an issue.